As an affiliate of Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), HR Florida State Council is encouraged to meet specific requirements designed to measure our state’s alignment with the national professional association’s objectives. These requirements focus on outcomes from our 2014 state council initiatives. Each year, state councils are recognized by SHRM for their achievements by means of a tiered awards program. We are pleased to share that HR Florida received the Platinum Award for 2014—the highest level recognition provided.
The 62 volunteer leaders of our state council enabled us to perform in many ways to:
- enhance the professional development of our 15,000 members;
- encourage inclusion in the 6,500 Florida workplaces represented by our members;
- assist the 550,000 unemployed Florida citizens with employment and learning opportunities;
- create “real world” learning environments for the 1,400 SHRM student members located within our state;
- influence public policy through personal meetings with the 160 lawmakers comprising our state House of Representatives and Senate;
- ready the 1.6 million Florida-resident veterans for civilian employment opportunities; and
- raise $18,164 for the SHRM Foundation to further their efforts toward research, educational resources and scholarships that benefit the human resources profession.
We’re proud of our achievements and appreciate the recognition of our national association. We’ve been extremely fortunate to be able to build upon the solid foundation developed by our historical leaders. Each year we set our goals higher than the previous year’s accomplishments. We have a tradition of excellence in Florida and an expectation of continued advancements.
With many years of senior-level human resources experience in the private sector environment, Joyce Chastain, SPHR brings practical know-how to each engagement. Her human resources consulting practice specializes in talent development, employee relations, internal investigations, employment law compliance, and affirmative action plans. She is the owner of Chastain Consulting and currently serves as the 2014-2015 Immediate Past President of the HR Florida State Council.